Caulilini | This Vegetable Will Be The Next Big Thing In Your Diet: Don’t dismiss this new veggie because it lacks a tan. You can thank Mann’s Fresh Vegetables for bringing caulilini (your new favorite vegetable) to the produce aisle.
Caulilini | This Vegetable Will Be The Next Big Thing In Your Diet!
What Basically Is Caulilini?
Unlike broccolini, which is a hybrid of two vegetables, caulilini is 100% cauliflower. While Mann’s calls it “baby cauliflower,” it is not a baby version of regular cauliflower. It’s a popular Asian cauliflower variety that hasn’t been grown in the US.
Caulilini’s stalks are tenderer and sweeter than regular cauliflower. Mann has spent two years perfecting the strain and making caulilini year-round. Caulilini can be steamed, fried, or grilled and used in salads or stir-fries.
Like cauliflower and broccoli, the whole stalk is edible, from stem to flower, reducing food waste and allowing for culinary creativity.
Caulilini’s Health Benefits
The Plant-Powered Dietitian says it’s high in fiber, vitamins B6 and C, and potassium. Caulilini is a member of the cruciferous family and contains phytochemicals linked to cancer protection.
“It’s a good idea to eat cruciferous vegetables at least once a week. In case you’re a cauli-obsessed, broccoli-deprived cook, try these caulilini recipes.
Crispy Roasted Cauliflower
- Makes: approximately 4 servings
- Proportion-sized bundles: 1lb Caulilini
- Olive oil infused with garlic
- Salted kosher
- Pepper with a dash of black pepper
- Prepare a 350oF oven.
- Toss the Caulilini in the oil in a large bowl.
- Once again, toss in the salt and pepper.
- A baking sheet should be used for this purpose.
- When the meat is fork tender, remove it from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
- If you’d like, you can drizzle a little oil over the dish just before serving.
Caulilini Based Soup
- Makes about 6 cups
- Butter is 1 stick.
- 1 pound of coarsely chopped Caulilini
- Wash and chop a medium-sized leek
- chopped 1 large rib celery
- Chopped up a medium-sized yellow onion
- An equal amount of minced garlic
- A quarter of a cup of flour
- White wine in half a cup
- Half and half
- a single lemon’s worth
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. white pepper flakes
- Garnish with Caulilini florets and chive oil (optional)
- Over medium-low heat, melt the butter in a Dutch oven.
- Make a sauce by combining the Caulilini with the leek, celery, and onion.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour until it’s evenly distributed.
- Pour the wine into the pot to deglaze it.
- Lemon juice, salt, and pepper are added to the half & half mixture.
- Simmer for a few minutes before serving.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, before removing from the heat.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup until it’s creamy and smooth. If this isn’t the case, puree the soup in small batches in a blender.
- Push the soup through a strainer once it’s smooth to remove any chunks.
- Add Caulilini florets and chive oil if desired.
Assortment Of Grilled Ribeye And Cauliflower
- It yields one serving
- Ribeye steak, 20 ounces.
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 4 ounces uncooked Caulilini
- Chilli Worcestershire sauce is 2 ounces
- Set the steak aside after seasoning it with salt and pepper.
- Turn up the heat on the grill.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil on the stove top to medium-high heat.
- Then let it rest for a few minutes after you’ve finished grilling.
- Set Caulilini on a paper towel to drain the oil after frying it for 20 seconds in the pan.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fried Caulilini should be placed over the steak on the plate.
- Serve with a side of horseradish sauce.