Productive Meeting- How to make them more productive
What is a Meeting – Gathering of People For a Particular Purpose
Ideally it should happen for formal discussions with predefined agenda & goal to achieve. But reality is bit different. Let’s think about :
- Is this the same picture in actual life ?
- Whenever we meet in our organization, do we have agenda with us ?
- Are our meetings completed in predefined time duration ?
- How many meetings are ended with a productive result ?
- What is the percentage of total meetings held in last 7 days, where we were able to achieve the actual goal ?
- How many times we meet on adhoc basis in last 7 days
Few very simple questions but hard to answer.
The most important question is – What is the need to call a meeting:
- Broadcast any information / status update / decision
- Discuss any topic, give the opportunity to express and listen the viewpoints of others
- Discuss the implementation of any technical / non technical stuff
- Conclude on anything with the agreement of more than one stake holders
I have learnt from one of my seniors – “how one can contribute to make a meeting more productive”.
What to do for productive meetings is much clear now :
- Always be on time
- Come prepared at your level best
- Let’s not try to digress the discussion
- Contribute to conclude the discussion
- Try to limit on time duration
- Have shorter meetings
- Ensure minutes of meeting to be shared with all stake holders
- Let’s not attend those meetings in which you neither contribute nor takeaway anything
Let’s rephrase the meaning of the Meeting –
A time bound discussion with well defined agenda/goal in which everyone should come on time & prepared enough to contribute at their level best. Discussion should not be digressed from agenda, one has to supervise it voluntarily.